Voice of the next generation

Courtesy photo

Courtesy photo

Officially in the running \ 2014 graduate Brooke Lopez is running for Wylie City Council.

Brooke Vincent

Only a year since graduating high school, Brooke Lopez has taken on a multitude of new responsibilities at the University of Texas at Dallas reflecting her former busy high school career. But now only a freshman in college, Lopez will don her name on the ballot during the Wylie City Council election May 9.

The inspiration for Lopez’s campaign occurred the summer of her junior year in high school when she learned about the trouble Lavon Lake was facing.

“Lavon Lake had dwindled 11 feet below average height and nothing was being done to fix it,” Lopez said. “I was unhappy with the amount of unsustainable growth we as a city have been incurring without consideration to the valuable land and water we are destroying.”

Lopez is running her campaign on three main platforms involving the environment, the ever-changing growth of Wylie, and voter participation.

During her high school career, Lopez participated in clubs that contributed to her current career in politics: UIL Extemporaneous Speaking, Interact Club, Leo Club, Student Council, and Business Professionals of America, among many others.

“Brooke is a very hard worker,” Lopez’s UIL advisor Jessica Taylor said. “She is very intrinsically motivated, and likes to be the best at everything she does. She has tenacity, and sticks to a task until it is complete.”

Lopez’s main cause for kickstarting her career in politics was the shooting death of her close friend Nahum Martinez, only 15 years old, killed by two high school peers who were convicted of murder as minors. An anger sparked in Lopez and pushed her into politics when she began to write Nahum’s Law.

“[Nahum’s Law] states that a person charged as a minor with a felony involving a fire arm loses the privilege to have his or her record expunged,” Lopez said. “The bill is planned for proposal in 2015.”

Since enrolling into the University of Texas at Dallas, Lopez has played a role in the student government, diversity committee and Running Start.

“These courses and organizations have shown me how to work over a larger group of citizens as opposed to a high school,” Lopez said.

Lopez has already faced some adversity when it comes to her campaign due to her young age. However, she does not let the negativity affect her attitude.

“Age doesn’t guarantee a stronger politician,” Lopez said. “My age doesn’t determine the service I hope to bring to my community, whether or not I am elected.”

• Voice of the next generation

Local & World News

Sanders slides ahead

• Voice of the next generation

Local & World News

Understanding Indiana’s “Religious Freedom Restoration” bill

• Voice of the next generation

Local & World News

Clinton declares candidacy for 2016 election

• Voice of the next generation

Local & World News

Edward Snowden spotted on satirical news program

• Voice of the next generation

Local & World News

Texas judge blocks launch of immigration program

• Voice of the next generation

Local & World News

California drought reaches an executive level

• Voice of the next generation

Local & World News

In a first for L.A., B’nai David adds female clergy

• Voice of the next generation

Local & World News

Plane crashes on school practice field

• Voice of the next generation

Local & World News

Chocolates, flowers, and martyrdom: happy St. Valentine’s Day

• Voice of the next generation

Local & World News

Cost of college a key point of SOTU