Showcasing great student journalism from members of the SNO Network

Filed under Music

‘Legend of Zelda’ concert brings video game soundtrack to life

I don’t go to concerts very often. In fact, I’ve been to very few. However, being a diehard fan of the Legend of Zelda series, the The Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses concert caught my attention.
The Legend of Zelda video game series has collectively sold over 62 million copies, with 15 games spanning 25 years. The series is full of rich and involving stories, deep mythologies, top notch exploration and beautiful soundtracks. Chances are, even if you haven’t played a single game in the series, you will probably recognize the main theme in Zelda. There are so many memorable and catchy tunes, crafted by the genius composer Koji Kondo.
As I arrived to Meyerhoff Symphony Hall in Baltimore, I was greeted by the sight of hundreds of fans, many wearing Legend of Zelda-themed shirts and some even dressed up in costume. My mom whispered to us “This is the geekiest thing I think I’ve ever done”, yet I felt completely at home. Shortly after taking our seats, the two creative directors for the event introduced us to the concert, giving us a verbal preview of what was in store. After waiting in anticipation for what seemed like forever the the concert finally started.
The music was wonderful. Hearing such iconic music played by a live symphony was incredible. To top it off there was a giant screen hanging above the concert stage that presented visuals (Scenes from the games and gameplay) that wonderfully corresponded with the live audio. Never have I felt so much nostalgia from something.
The music itself brought up fond memories of an epic series such as the Legend of Zelda. Since the music was so surreal that my sister and I nearly cried many times as well. The visual display and booming sound fused to create a grand scale that commanded my attention. To sum it up, the music was grand, perfectly in tune, and awe-inspiring.
Without a doubt, this concert was definitely one of the highlights of my summer. It easily is the best concert I have been to, and I will remember the night for years to come. However, I think there is something more to be said about the music of such a captivating series. This music gives life to the games, it creates a unique identity and amplifies the scale and personality to be found.
The Legend of Zelda and its iconic music elicits pure amazement and joyous emotions for me and the millions who have played it, and will continue to do so for many years to come. In the event that this spectacular concert tours again next year, go and experience a masterpiece of musical composition. You won’t regret it. –

• ‘Legend of Zelda’ concert brings video game soundtrack to life

Arts & Entertainment

Sharlie, others play basement show

Audio

Around Sound Podcast

Music

Flaming Lips poorly modernize classic album

Music

An adventure in listening

Music

Singer-songwriter performs in pajamas

Music

Three Days Grace showcases new talent on fifth album

Movies

Senior Luepke leaves children ‘Frozen’ with delight

Music

Fifth Harmony brings girl power back to charts

Music

Crazed fans camp out for concert tickets

Music

Fall Out Boy hits the right notes in sixth album