The truth about the future of IGESS

Danielle Stevens

Danielle Stevens

IGESS teachers Ryan DeGeeter and Jason Hensel assist a group with an assignment.

Danielle Stevens, Davenport West High School

IGESS stands for Integrated Geometry Earth and Space Science, a class run by math teacher Ryan DeGeeter and science teacher Jason Hensel.

Both teachers have been a part of IGESS for four years, but there has been a rumor swirling around that IGESS might be over as of next year. Confirmed by Principal Jenni Weipert, IGESS will not be offered next year. Weipert and the specialists within the district looked through the program as a whole and made the decision to go back to separate classes.

“The teachers will still teach the regular courses like geometry and Earth and Space Science, they’re just not going to combine them,” Weipert said.

IGESS is diverse from the typical geometry and science classes alone. This class channels student’s inner creativity and there is more hands-on projects.

“We have aligned the standards from geometry and Earth and Space Science in such a way that students can apply the geometry to the science and vice versa,” Hensel said.

“In my personal opinion, I think IGESS is more strenuous than regular geometry because of the amount of material covered on top of the projects at the conclusion of every two chapters,” DeGeeter said.

The purpose of IGESS is for students to be able to apply geometry and science in a diverse way outside of school.

“It [IGESS] gives students a chance to show what they have learned in applicable ways that they choose,” Hensel said.

IGESS uses the same techniques that are used for other classes such as guided instruction, research, group collaboration and presenting skills.

“The students have a given set of parameters and then imaginative freedom to apply to their interests,” Hensel said.

Since IGESS has begun, both teachers have enjoyed the class and the students.

“I have been able to express myself in what I do because we have a lot of choices in this class,” freshman Luke Heinrichs said.

Both Hensel and DeGeeter enjoy not only teaching, but being able to see how creative all of their students are.

“I love seeing students apply their interests and strengths to the applicable geometry and science standards. These students we have are not only intelligent, but also imaginative and creative,” DeGeeter said.

Read the original story here

• The truth about the future of IGESS

Artists Emerge

• The truth about the future of IGESS

Class of 2018 recalls good times at old campus

• The truth about the future of IGESS

Legalization Lights Up Controversy

• The truth about the future of IGESS

Student musicians perform at Relay for Life

• The truth about the future of IGESS

Upcoming Standardized Testing Causes Stress With New Format and Hectic Schedule

• The truth about the future of IGESS

Xavier science classes participate in a global exchange program with Egypt

• The truth about the future of IGESS

Wheelin’ around

• The truth about the future of IGESS

Students Walk Out, Protest in D.C.

• The truth about the future of IGESS

Take a deep breath, it’s National Stress Awareness Day

• The truth about the future of IGESS

Administration cites school policy in punishing protesters