Girls bowling rolls into hundredth consecutive win, Ploof leads D2 coaches in victories

Rob Ploof

Rob Ploof

Senior Barbara Hawes (left) and junior Alexis Roof share their excitement for their team's and the bowling program's accomplishments.

Hannah Hendley, Kearsley High School

Last year’s Super Bowl champion New England Patriots can’t even say they were undefeated in just one NFL season with 13 wins and three losses.

Even the NBA Finals champion Golden State Warriors ended with a 67-15 record.

But here at KHS, the girls bowling team remains perfect in league play — for almost a decade.

Over a span of nine years, the five-time state champions have been working hard to keep their winning streak strong. In fact, the girls recently hit their 100th straight win — there’s not many teams that can say that.

Actually, there are no other Michigan high school bowling teams that have ever had that many wins in a row.

And although there are no records to prove it, more than likely no other teams have done this.

The last time Kearsley lost a league match was January 2009.

Coach Robert Ploof has led the team for 13 years.

“It is really nice knowing that you have a very good team and every time you go to a match or a tournament you have a chance to win,” Ploof said. “In fact, you expect to win. It’s a great feeling.”

This year’s team has three seniors and Ploof said this is the best team he has coached at Kearsley.

He said losing these bowlers to graduation will be painful to the team.

“It will definitely hurt to lose them, but we have a very strong JV program,” Ploof said. “In fact, the best JV program in the state.”

This year’s team won the 100th straight match, but this streak belongs to the program. Ten different teams combined to mark this milestone.

What’s amazing is that Ploof has been able to rebuild his teams year after year after year.

Ploof said that although he’s going to lose a few bowlers this year, he thinks the team will continue going strong.

“Nobody has had the success we have had,” Ploof said. “And not just our girls, but our boys have been very successful over the years.”

Ploof leads Division 2 coaches in Michigan with 129 wins as of Feb. 2. With only 13 losses, he has a .908 winning average.  In addition, he currently has the third most victories in the state for coaches from all divisions.

This is senior Barbara Hawes’ third year on the team.

Hawes began bowling in seventh grade but had no idea what was about to come.

“It’s basically unbelievable how much a dynasty Rob (Ploof) has built,” Hawes said. “It’s incredible.”

Discreetly, Hawes said last season she anxiously kept track of the wins to see if the 100 was possible for her final season.

“I was counting down to the match,” Hawes said.

Junior Alexis Roof has been bowling since she was just 3 years old.

All of her hard work paid off when she made the team during her freshman year.

Roof said she and her teammates always try to come out on top, and they hope to keep this tradition going.

“We always treat everything like it’s our last time to perform,” Roof said.

Roof and her teammates keep the success going with help from their coach challenging them. Ploof pushes them harder each day to achieve those wins.

Roof said the moment she and her teammates earned that 100th victory, they felt “relieved.”

“It’s still a pressure to keep going,” Roof said. “But the pressure of getting there (for 100 straight wins) has been lifted.”

Read the original story here. 

• Girls bowling rolls into hundredth consecutive win, Ploof leads D2 coaches in victories

Sports

Lose it or Lose it

Sports

Football coach believes in no rest for the weary

Sports

Can you dig it?

Sports

Snowiest April ever delays spring sports season

Sports

On your mark, get set, go! The Paralympics

Sports

Alum Kelly Pannek reflects on her gold medal win at Winter Olympics

Sports

Tyrone Alum “Retrieves” History In The Big Dance

Sports

The dynamic sister duo on the court

Sports

Senior Eliel Martinez Settles In at FHS

Sports

Sophomore Maggie Brawley is not afraid to “play like a girl”