Showcasing great student journalism from members of the SNO Network

Student sees rise in popularity as SoundCloud rapper

Nick Moss

Nick Moss

Julian Elliott, senior, produces rap songs in his free time. Over the past month, his rap song “Coolest of Da Coolest” gained a lot of attention on SoundCloud.

Kailin Zhang, Marquette High School

5,413 plays in 1 month.

114 likes in 1 month.

16 reposts in 1 month.

While some students dream to reach these numbers, for Julian Elliott, senior, these numbers are his reality. Over the past month, his rap song “Coolest of Da Coolest” gained attention on SoundCloud, a social platform that enables users to stream and share songs.

Elliott was amazed by the feedback that came from his song. The song was published after he had gone quiet for a while and hadn’t released anything since last year.

“Crazy results happened when I dropped the song,” Elliot said. “I was just like ‘woah.’ ”

When Elliott was 11 years old, he was inspired by his 18-year-old brother to begin rapping. He didn’t put his main focus on rapping until four years later when he really began to commit to the art through developing and perfecting his own style.

“Everyone knew that I had a little vocal harmony, but I never really took it seriously until then,” Elliot said.

From there, Elliot continued to further his career by coming out with music videos as well as new content. Elliott said there’s only a slight chance to go viral off a song, so he needs to focus on networking, marketing and consistency.

“I haven’t really done any of that yet really and I’ve gotten good results,” Elliot said. “So imagine the results when I do.That’s what I’m waiting for.”

Elliot described his style as a mix of both rapping and singing. In his songs, he writes about what’s real and happening in his own life.

“Nowadays, in the music, you can’t sound like everybody else,” Elliott said. “You have to have your own unique style.”

Despite his achievements in rapping, Elliott’s main goal in life is to become an actor. He said that realistically, he won’t be going to school for acting because of the focus on theater and Broadway. He loves music but hopes it can benefit him in getting the acting career.

Jaiden Williams, senior, is not only Elliot’s friend but also listens to Elliot’s music. Williams said Elliot definitely works hard and takes his work seriously.

“He doesn’t take his rapping as a joke,” Williams said. “He doesn’t mess around in the studio and works really hard.”

Williams said Elliott is a guy that anyone could get along with and is easy to talk to. Elliot looks out for his friends and always has their backs.

Kylie Wurgler, MHS TV adviser, described Elliott as upbeat, optimistic and hardworking.

“He’s creative.  In class, he doesn’t move forward with a project until he knows exactly what his ideas are and has written it out,” Wurgler said. “That’s cool to see in class, and I know he’s doing that with his music too.”

Just over the time Wurgler has had him in class, she’s seen his music grow in popularity.

“I think it’s really cool to be a high schooler and for kids to know your music.  What a prime time to have that happen,” Wurgler said. “He’s being recognized now, so when he goes off and does whatever’s next, he’ll have the population in school that knew and supported him in high school.”

Read the original story here

• Student sees rise in popularity as SoundCloud rapper

Arts & Entertainment

This is what makes us girls: a “Sour Heart” review

Arts & Entertainment

Is “Logan” Marvel’s Dark Knight?

Arts & Entertainment

Stefanie Elsperman uses spiritual blog and group to inspire others

Arts & Entertainment

Class documentary on housing crisis selected for national film festival

Arts & Entertainment

Let’s Talk Business: Student Starts Fashion Company

Arts & Entertainment

Life On Screen

Arts & Entertainment

This is ‘It’, the horror triumph of the year

Arts & Entertainment

Misty Copeland: Struggle, success, and pointe shoes

Arts & Entertainment

“Orange is the New Black” is also the Color of Success for alumni Heather Jeng Bladt

Arts & Entertainment

“13 Reasons Why”: Important conversations parents should be having with their children