Showcasing great student journalism from members of the SNO Network

Filed under Features, Multimedia, Video

BAHS lip dub goes viral

Greg Spencer, Nolan Couch, Noah Basinger, Johnathon Rico

Unless you’ve been living under a rock lately you have probably heard that Broken Arrow High School released their2015 lip dub video on YouTube. Just twelve days ago BAHSPulse sent out a simple tweet declaring “the wait is over, #bahslipdub2k15 has arrived!”

The initial reaction to the video online was overwhelmingly positive with students, staff, parents and alumni all sharing the video across the various social media platforms. Very quickly the story was picked up by local news outlets across the state from Tulsa to Oklahoma City.

On Thursday, Nov. 19, just a little over 24 hours after the release of the video, freelance sports writer Ben Rohrbach wrote an article for USA Today High School Sports declaring,“Broken Arrow drops the mic on lip dub video to end all lip dub videos.”

From that moment the video went viral, and by the time the weekend was over the lip dub had over 245,000 views. Then on Monday, Nov. 23 at 2:27 p.m. Seventeen wrote on article declaring, “This high school just created the most epic lip dub video ever.”

As big of a deal as the first national article by USA Today was, it was Seventeen sharing it on both their Facebook and Twitter accounts that truly set off a chain reaction of other national media outlets picking up the story and sharing it via social media.

A week after shout-outs from Seventeen, MTV, Billboard, Buzzfeed, Inside Edition, Teen Vogue, Cosmo, Mashable, and many more the 2015 BAHS lip dub video has become just the second-ever lip dub created by a high school to have over a million views on YouTube. The only other high school lip dub to have over a million views was released 5 years ago, and it should just be a matter of time before ours becomes the most viewed ever.

This is truly a remarkable accomplishment for our entire school and something that showcases so many positive aspects of Broken Arrow High School. The talent, creativity, school spirt, and engagement on display by the students and staff in this video is what it is all about.

There are many people all over the world who are not only now aware of Broken Arrow High School, but envious of our facilities and school pride. The amount of tweets and Facebook comments with students from other schools wishing they went to BAHS and adults declaring they want to go back to high school is pretty amazing! This is our second year to do a lip dub, and we hope this video helps create a new tradition that showcases our amazing school.

Below is a list of clickable links to articles from national and local media outlets that have covered the lip dub video. If you know of a great featured article not listed below, please tweet it to @bahspulse.

The video also spent over 24 hours as the #1 trending topic on Facebook ahead of Charlie Sheen, Drake and Barack Obama.

Screen-Shot-2015-11-20-at-10.02.42-AM-475x318

On Nov., 26, the rapper Tyga shared a link to an article on the video from Glitta TV to his over 14 million Facebook fans.

Screen-Shot-2015-11-30-at-11.10.03-AM-475x453

To top it all off, Kenny Ortega, the director of the High School Musical series, gave BAHS a shout-out on Twitter.

Screen-Shot-2015-11-30-at-10.32.23-AM1-475x114

• BAHS lip dub goes viral

Hope Brigade Club gives hope to cancer victims

• BAHS lip dub goes viral

Paris Wilken looks to the stars

• BAHS lip dub goes viral

Senior creates community service project

• BAHS lip dub goes viral

Spotlight: Vickey Karl

• BAHS lip dub goes viral

When you’re the child of a rabbi, who are you?

• BAHS lip dub goes viral

A life in limbo

• BAHS lip dub goes viral

Senior calls for old phones in zoo challenge

• BAHS lip dub goes viral

And then there was Hope

• BAHS lip dub goes viral

From Teacher to Student and Back Again

• BAHS lip dub goes viral

Starr’s Mill senior returns from the Phantom Regiment